Welcome to Machangulo Beach Lodge
Untamed and untouched, the Southern Mozambican coastline plays host to a unique battle between the open Indian Ocean and the estuaries of Maputo Bay. Machangulo Beach Lodge is located at the centre of this grand battle, the channel between Inhaca Island and the dunes of the Santa Maria Peninsula. The ever present conflict between tides energizes the atmosphere and adds to the magic of this unspoiled and mysterious place.
The Lodge overlooks this magic; endless white beaches, pristine and untouched dune forests, estuaries bursting with life and eternally wide open ocean – all in an energetic harmony. Hidden away amid the dunes and hiding amongst the forests, Machangulo Beach Lodge has a warm and inviting atmosphere, keeping its guests calmly protected from the epic nature outside.
Your boat journey through the endless channels of the bay ends on the Lodge’s secluded beach. From here the beauty and magic will become more and more real. Walkways snake through the cool forest and bring you to the Lodge’s main building, inviting you to relax and become part of the calm. Your cabin is just around the corner and the staff of Machangulo Beach Lodge is at your service to ensure the adventure you’ve been hoping for…
The ideal setting for your family getaway, honeymoon, fishing trip, diving adventure or just a weekend away from it all.
Machangulo Beach Lodge is the resort you’ve been hoping to find. . .
Machangulo Beach Lodge features 14 private luxury chalets. Each chalet has an en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning, mosquito nets and private deck. Five chalets have a breathtaking view of the ocean and Inhaca Island, and the others are grouped into Villas. All the chalets are connected by walkways and staircases to the main buildings and the beach.
Machangulo Beach Lodge’s striking main building includes a large inviting lounge with bar area and large dining area. Hidden behind the main building is the Boma area where evenings are spent beside the fire while enjoying the tranquil Mozambican nights, discussing the day’s catch and strategizing about tomorrow’s big one!
Situated near the beach is our Beach Bar where the vibrant atmosphere is kept alive from dawn to way past dusk! A pool and deck are situated by the Beach Bar for you to cool down before an afternoon siesta.
Machangulo Beach Lodge features 4 exclusive Villas
Two Beach Villas with 4 detached rooms each right on the beach. All rooms are en-suite with private deck and partial ocean views, only a couple of meters from the beach. Each Beach Villa has a private swimming pool, large decks, and Boma type fire area.
A private, central building house a large lounge and dining area, with a bar and kitchen prep area where your private chef will create some mouthwatering meals to your specifications (Exclusive use option required for private chef). Exclusive use packages available. Includes private chef, waiter and bar.
Two Family Villas with 2 en-suite bedrooms joined under one roof by a large lounge area. Villa is ideal for families with children who can have their own room but not too far from parents. Sleeps 4 adults and 2 children or 2 adults and 3 or even 4 children. Great Views of Inhaca Island and the Indian Ocean. Large Private Deck, lounge and dining area. Beach Access via wooden walkways. Exclusive use packages available. Includes private chef, waiter and bar.
Machangulo Beach Lodge features a world of fun and exciting activities for the whole family. Whether you need to relax and soak up the sun or experience the thrill of having a great big game fish at the end of your fishing line, our friendly activities staff will ensure that you are well taken care of and that your every expectation is met.
Our fleet consists of two modern and safe powerboats and a variety of smaller craft. Some of the activities are tide and weather dependant – please enquire shortly before and upon arrival as to the availability of your chosen activities or boats. MarAzul is a 30ft Yamaha boat and features a large open floor – ideal for fishing, diving and exploring.
Some of the more popular activities include:
- Guided offshore fishing
- Guided channel fishing
- Rock and surf fishing both guided and unguided
- Fly fishing both from the shore and boat
- Light tackle and drop shot.
- Inhaca Marine Reserve Snorkeling
- Snorkeling on the ledge in front of lodge
- SCUBA diving
- Wreck snorkeling
- Spear Fishing(You’ll need to have experience and bring your own equipment though, please enquire about this at time of booking)
- Tours of Inhaca Island – guided
- Cultural tour of Santa Maria with lunch and drinks at the famous Teka Teka bar
- Exploration of the Maputo Bay Estuaries
- Seasonal Whale Watching trips(Jun to Nov)
- Turtle nesting activities(late spring)
- Flamingo, Albatross and seabird trips(estuary)
- Kids Rock pool exploration
- Amazing secluded beach and dune forest walks
- Birders paradise
- Swimming pool, Beach Bar, Hammocks and Beach Umbrellas for relaxing
Getting to Machangulo
Machangulo Beach Lodge’s distinctive atmosphere stems from its unique location. Southern Mozambique’s sparsely populated coastline and brilliant natural beauty hosts the Maputo Elephant Reserve, home to over 400 elephants, hippo’s, crocodiles and some antelope. While some believe the journey to be half the fun, others prefer the destination. Here are the different ways to get to Machangulo Beach Lodge:
Most guests arrive at Machangulo Beach Lodge via Boat Transfer from Maputo. Transfers are done on our own boats and arrival and departure times are custom made for your booking. Tides, weather and the arrival or departure of other guests can influence transfer times. Private transfers are available on request.
Getting to Maputo
There are many options to get to Maputo.
Many airlines fly from Joburg to Maputo, and even from Cape Town to Maputo. We have specially reduced rates on LAM and with Airlink on flights between OR Tambo and Maputo, and can offer a complete package with flights, transfers & accommodation.
Self driving from South Africa is easy and Machangulo remains the easiest lodge to get to in Mozambique. Please see directions below and contact reservations for more information regarding driving options. Safe Parking is available at the Maputo Marina at an additional cost payable directly to the guards at the Marina.
Self Driving to Machangulo Beach Lodge is becoming easier. The best option is to drive to Maputo and then to take the boat transfer to the lodge. There are numerous car rental companies that allow vehicles to cross the border from South Africa. There is safe parking in Maputo at the Maputo Marina (where the boat departs from) and the cost is ZAR 50 per car per day. If you are interested in driving to Maputo to come and visit Machangulo Beach Lodge, please let our reservations know and we’ll be more than happy to assist you with all the logistics.
Directions from Johannesburg. . .
- Take the N12 EAST (N4 if you’re in Pretoria).
- Head toward Witbank, where the two highways will converge (now called the N4).
- Continue East on the N4 through Nelspruit all the way to the Komatipoort/Lebombo border post. Remember to have your passports and car papers ready (recent registration if it’s your own vehicle or permission letter from rental company).
- Once you are through the 2 posts continue on the highway, now called the EN4, all the way into Maputo.
- As you enter Maputo (first suburb is called Matola) continue straight in with the EN4 until you reach the EN2 at a major traffic light.
- Turn left and continue into Maputo through the toll gate until you reach a big traffic circle, turn right (you entered at 6O’Clock, exit at 3O’Clock).
- Follow the main (Avenida 25 de setenbro) road all the way through the city until you pass the KFC on you left, just pass the circle, which you go straight over, turn right into Maputo Marina (Blue and white buildings).
- Here our friendly staff will assist you and your luggage onto the boat and your journey through Maputo Bay should take around an hour.
For the 4×4:
Although there are no roads that lead to the lodge – it is possible to drive all the way to Santa Maria, about 30mins walk from the lodge (or a quick boat pickup). It’s an incredible drive through the Maputo Elephant Reserve. The drive takes about 6 hours and a 4×4 is essential. Please contact us if you plan to drive.