Welcome to Machangulo Beach Lodge
Machangulo Beach Lodge, in the South of Mozambique, offers blissful barefoot luxury. Untouched African beaches, untamed nature and luxurious service come together to create extraordinary holiday experiences. Situated in a truly unique location on a beautiful, secluded peninsula it is the easiest lodge to access in Mozambique with a plethora of activities for the whole family. This is a unique AFRICAN beach paradise, surrounded by 5 marine and nature reserves. The fully equipped activities centre, spa and dive centre ensure unique experiences for everyone.
Machangulo Beach Lodge is the resort you’ve been hoping to find. . .
Machangulo Beach Lodge is family owned and operated, and features 9 intimate Ocean View Chalets, a fully equipped activity centre and plenty of amazing spots to enjoy the unique views of the Indian Ocean and Inhaca Island. Rooms are connected by walkways and staircases to the main buildings and the beach.
All rooms have the following features:
- Spectacular views
- Private en-suite bathrooms
- Air-conditioning (24/7)
- Mosquito nets
- Telephone to connect with reception
- Private decks/verandas
- Tea & coffee making facilities
- Ceiling fan
- Room safe
Machangulo Beach Lodge’s striking main building includes a large inviting lounge with bar area and large dining area.
Situated near the beach is the Beach Bar where the vibrant atmosphere is kept alive from dawn to way past dusk! A pool and deck are situated by the Beach Bar for you to cool down before an afternoon siesta.
Machangulo Beach Lodge features a world of fun and exciting activities for the whole family. Whether you need to relax and soak up the sun or experience the thrill of having a great big game fish at the end of your fishing line, our friendly activities staff will ensure that you are well taken care of and that your every expectation is met.
- Machangulo Beach Lodge specialises in rest and relaxation – picnics, walks and drinks on deserted beaches.
- Spa with incredible views and authentic treatments.
- Some of the best and most accessible snorkelling on the Southern African shoreline, with incredible house reefs.
- World class fishing destination. From extreme big game action, to first timers.
- king and stand-up paddle (SUP) boarding.
- Sailing dhow (local sailing boat)
- Romantic sunset cruises
- Spectacular birding destination
- Guided cultural tours of Santa Maria Village and Inhaca Island
- Pansy Island and sandbank tours
- Amazing secluded beach and dune forest walks
- Swimming pool, Beach Bar, Hammocks and Beach Umbrellas for relaxing
Getting to Machangulo
Machangulo Beach Lodge’s distinctive atmosphere stems from its unique location. Southern Mozambique’s sparsely populated coastline and brilliant natural beauty hosts the Maputo Special Reserve, home to over 400 elephants, hippo’s, crocodiles and some antelope. While some believe the journey to be half the fun, others prefer the destination. Here are the different ways to get to Machangulo Beach Lodge:
Most guests arrive at Machangulo Beach Lodge via Boat Transfer from Maputo. There is only one scheduled boat transfer each day from Maputo to the Lodge and from the Lodge back to Maputo, so it is important that guests arrive in good time for the transfer, as the boat cannot wait. Private transfers are available on request.
Getting to Maputo
There are many options to get to Maputo.
Many airlines fly from Joburg to Maputo, and even from Cape Town to Maputo. We have specially reduced rates on LAM and with Airlink on flights between OR Tambo and Maputo, and can offer a complete package with flights, transfers & accommodation.
Self driving from South Africa is easy and Machangulo remains the easiest lodge to get to in Mozambique. Please see directions below and contact reservations for more information regarding driving options. Safe Parking is available at the Maputo Marina at an additional cost payable directly to the guards at the Marina.
Self Driving to Machangulo Beach Lodge is becoming easier. The best option is to drive to Maputo and then to take the boat transfer to the lodge. There are numerous car rental companies that allow vehicles to cross the border from South Africa. There is safe parking in Maputo at the Maputo Marina (where the boat departs from) and the cost is ZAR 50 per car per day. If you are interested in driving to Maputo to visit Machangulo Beach Lodge, please let us know and we’ll be more than happy to assist you with all the logistics.
Directions from Johannesburg. . .
- Take the N12 EAST (N4 if you’re in Pretoria).
- Head toward Witbank, where the two highways will converge (now called the N4).
- Continue East on the N4 through Nelspruit all the way to the Komatipoort/Lebombo border post. Remember to have your passports and car papers ready (recent registration if it’s your own vehicle or permission letter from rental company).
- Once you are through the 2 posts continue on the highway, now called the EN4, all the way into Maputo.
- As you enter Maputo (first suburb is called Matola) continue straight in with the EN4 until you reach the EN2 at a major traffic light.
- Turn left and continue into Maputo through the toll gate until you reach a big traffic circle, turn right (you entered at 6O’Clock, exit at 3O’Clock).
- Follow the main (Avenida 25 de setenbro) road all the way through the city until you pass the KFC on you left, just pass the circle, which you go straight over, turn right into Maputo Marina (Blue and white buildings).
- Here our friendly staff will assist you and your luggage onto the boat and your journey through Maputo Bay should take around an hour.
For the 4×4:
Although there are no roads that lead to the lodge – it is possible to drive all the way to Santa Maria, about 30mins walk from the lodge (or a quick boat pickup). It’s an incredible drive through the Maputo Elephant Reserve. The drive takes about 6 hours and a 4×4 is essential. Please contact us if you plan to drive.