Welcome to Ibo Island Lodge
Ibo Island Lodge is situated in the Quirimbas Archipelago of northern Mozambique. The Island is approximately 70 nautical miles from the mainland city of Pemba. Ibo Island is the head quarters of the pristine Quirimbas National Park which encompasses 11 islands and a mainland area that covers 1522 sq meters.
The island has been nominated for World Heritage Status to ensure the protection of its incredible culture and history. Ibo Island has a community of approximately 3000 people.
Ibo Island Lodge is located on the prime waterfront site, where romantic dhows sail out to sea on each high tide. The elegant lodge encompasses original rehabilitated mansions each over one hundred years old with high lofty ceilings. Exposed coral and lime meter thick walls, solid original teak ceiling beams, large hand carved doors, windows, shutters and traditional Ibo floors.
Wide verandas and spaces furnished with hand crafted furniture, antiques and beautiful fabrics. All rooms are air-conditioned and have ceiling fans. Ibo Island Lodge offers a relaxed and informal atmosphere in fitting with the island ambience, and is set amongst beautiful tropical gardens with palms, established trees, bougainvillea and frangipani. The unique roof terrace restaurant with its open-air lounge area for after dinner drinks under the stars can only be described as magical.
The three mansions of Ibo Island Lodge are Villa Paradiso, Villa Niassa and Villa Bela Vista. Accommodation is split between Paradiso and Niassa only – Bela Vista is the public area of the lodge and houses the Lodge’s restaurant, shop and the main pool in the main garden.
All bedrooms are individually designed and unique, with many opening onto private verandas, decked with hand crafted furniture and soft cushionscovered in vibrant local fabrics.
- Air conditioning and ceiling fan
- Large windows for sea breeze
- King size extra length hand crafted bed with mosquito net (twin beds are also available)
- Indigenous teak and mahogany handcrafted furniture
- Solid mahogany wardrobe with hangers
- Chest safe with lock
- Brass and antique fittings
- Linen gown for use whilst on the island
- A range of Ibo guest amenities
- Hair dryer / Water flasks / Morning tea and coffee
Two pools keep guests cool and refreshed. The main pool is rim flow and faces the ocean and sunset. Ibo Island Lodge offers a complimentary return daily transfer by motorized dhow to Ibo’s best kept secret… a perfect powder white sand bank beach totally surrounded by sea and luxurious in seclusion…one of the most pristine beaches for snorkelling and swimming in the Quirimbas Archipelago.
- The Ibo Island guided historical experience: Guided by people of Ibo, a journey recounting the history of Ibo and introducing the Ibo Island of today (included in rate).
- A short boat trip (included daily in the rate) to Ibo’s perfect powder white sand bank beach.
- Mangrove excursions: Fully guided, guests are taken into Ibo’s lush, fertile mangrove channels to understand more about this precious ecosystem and the outstanding bird and marine life it supports.
- Sea kayaking: A chance to navigate winding channels with magical scenery or island hop safely under the expert leadership of your guide.
- Guided bird walks: With an abundance of birdlife Ibo is an ornithological wonderland.
- Traditional sailing dhow safaris and cruises: Take a sunset cruise or day trip on the calm waters surrounding the islands on a traditional sailing dhow – an experience never to be forgotten.
- Silver Smiths Project: visit traditional silversmiths who hand craft exquisite intricate silver jewelry using ancient Arab techniques and tools (included in rate).
- Explore and interact: Ibo is perfect to stroll around and explore on ones own. The islanders are wonderfully friendly and guests can sample a slice of Ibo life.
- Photography: Ibo Island is a photographer’s paradise with magnificent buildings, people, dhows, birds and much more.
- Traditional Massage and relax: Ibo inspires complete tranquility. On Ibo guests can be as active or relaxed as they wish: Unwind at one of the pools, on the rooftop terrace, or enjoy a massage in the traditional spa.
The lodges restaurant and bar is situated high up on the roof terrace of the Bela Vista mansion facing west for unforgettable sunsets and affording spectacular views overthe bay. The cuisine features traditional Ibo Island specialities and the freshest of seafood, as well as an excellent wine list of imported South African wines.
Ibo Island of one of the most ancient settlements in Mozambique. As early as AD600 Arab traders established trading routes with local communities. Via these trading posts, slaves, gold and ivory were shipped to the Arab world. The Portuguese established control by 1522, and by the mid 1600’s the Archipelago was ruled by 2 main families – the Morues and Meneses families.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, Ibo was one of Portugal’s main Indian Ocean ports. Since independence, Ibo has remained very isolated and un-spoilt adding to its enormous charm.
Ibo Island is accessed from Pemba by light aircraft (approx. 30 minutes flying time.)
Rates at Ibo Island :
Per person / Night
- including 3 meals per day plus excursions to private beach & historical tour.
Loved loved loved it ! Thanks so much ! X
“Stunning Stunning Stunning!
The best break in a long while, and the food was amazing.